Friday, November 27, 2009

How to make an executable in VB.net?

I have a VB project for which I need to create a single executable, ASAP. I don't want a folder full of files; I don't want an installer; I especially don't want the user to have to have the .net framework on their computer.



Is this even possible any more? Everything I can find on the issue describes some sort of "Setup and Deployment" voodoo that creates a new folder on my computer, and I can't even figure out how to get it to *put* anything in that folder.



Again, I need an executable above all. If at all possible, I want this to be completely standalone. If I have to use Setup and Deployment, I will, but a few hints as to how to proceed once that project is created would be helpful.



Version: Microsoft Development Environment 2003, (Version 7.1.3088) and Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (Version 1.1.4322) from the Visual Studio suite. I have the CDs and can add components if necessary but I've looked and can't find anything that seems to be what I need.



Thanks for any help!



How to make an executable in VB.net?windows xp home



Your demands are impossible to meet. Specifically, you stated "I especially don't want the user to have to have the .net framework on their computer." There is NO WAY to run a .NET program withOUT having the .NET FRAMEWORK on the computer. You might check out http://www.pantaray.com/qsetup.html for a good install kit maker.



How to make an executable in VB.net?microsoft visual studio internet explorer



Do you mean you make a file and put the .exe verson?



Every time that you "debug" your program it creates a .exe file of that program as well. It will be under the folder where your project is located. Goto the "bin" folder, it should be the first one there.



Here is an example of where to find the .exe file



C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\TextEncryption\bin
Hi there.



I've used Visual Basic for a long time. According to your question, it all depends on what your project uses (plugins, controls and such). If you included controls such as: Richtext box, Access control, OLE controls etc., you'll need to create a "Setup and Deployment" package, since those controls are separate, and isn't embedded within the executable file. If your project is a very simple one that uses no fancy or complex controls (unlike text box, buttons, option boxes etc.), then you can *probably* get away from that deployment method by just compiling just the executable file.



Also note, that some of the older versions of Microsoft Windows will require the Msvbvm60.dll (main library file) to be installed first before running the standalone exe file. From my distant memory experience, i think anything above Windows 98 SE, will have that file installed during Windows installation. Anything below will require you to install the run-time files, which incidently, is one of the main reasons why you use the "Setup and Deployment" feature as that will properly include/install any of those necessary missing files.



Here's a bit more info on what controls within the project does and doesn't need to be used before "Package and Deployment" is necessary to be used.



http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290887



Note: This is for Visual Basic 6, but I'm assuming it's almost similar to vb.net. Even more so for vb.net, you'll have to install extra files before your application can run. The chance of NOT needing to install extra files is quite low.



If you have to use the "Package and Deployment" method, here's a not a bad site to look at:



http://www.startvbdotnet.com/extras/depl...



Hope this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
postage rate